Thursday, May 7, 2009

High Stakes Community School


In the demonstration of the High Stakes Community School I was a part of the college students group. The reason why I was in the whole group was because as a graduate of the school I was not prepared for college. I can easily relate to this group of people because coming from a really small town in Minnesota I feel as though I wasn't nearly as prepared for college as come of my friends were. I was not given the opportunity to take very many college level courses in High School. If I was given that opportunity in High school I may have had an easier time adjusting to college level courses.

Another part of the school system that needs to change is the the drop-out rate. Although more and more students are staying in school now then ever before, it still isn't good enough. We still have many students dropping out of High School. Without these students getting a High School diploma they are closing many doors to what they can do in the future. So, I think we need to set up some sort of safety net in which students fall into if they are getting close to dropping out. We can't just let students continue to drop out we need to catch them before they actually drop out.

Overall I think we do need to make our schools harder, but we need to focus on all the elements of education. Including PE, Health, and Art. We need to help our students to become very well rounded individuals and be able to excel in multiple different subjects and opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment